Monday, July 2, 2012

My Love/Hate Relationship with Food

I have a love/hate relationship with food. I understand the purpose of food. We eat food so that our bodies can live, and if we eat the right foods, our bodies will respond in positive ways. I even love to eat food. Give me a big old salad, or some grilled chicken or steak, and I'm a happy girl. The problem comes from the fact that I love food too much, and I love the wrong kinds of food.

I love vegetables, meat, fruits, dairy, juices, snacks, chocolate, candies, ice cream, and soda. I love it all. But I love sugar the most. If you put a box of chocolates down in front of me, and leave me in a room alone with it for a couple of hours, that entire box is going to be empty, and the remnants (bits of chocolate stuck to plastic, and the cardboard box-shell) will have disappeared. No evidence means no crime, right?

I love sugar. 
This is what I hate about food.

When I was younger, I ate what I wanted, and after high school, the pounds were packed on. I tried different diets, but the pull of food was too strong. I would be on my diet for a while, and then, without warning, my resolve would crumble, and I would binge. I've tried moderation, a few pieces of dark chocolate every few nights while I watch a movie, but that just kickstarts something in my brain that craves it more, and more, and more. I'm like a sugar zombie.

Now, after many years and many failed attempts at controlling this addiction, I've come to a place where just the thought of eating certain foods makes me feel guilty.

I think my conscious brain says that I really want the chocolate, or the ice cream, or the peppermint mocha espresso drink, and my subconscious brain responds by flooding me with a feeling of guilt, as if I'd already consumed said sugary treat, which results in my mood swinging way down. So, even without consuming the delicious, fat-building, teeth-decaying food, I feel like I have. This can't be healthy.


Vince and I were in Meijer the other day. We went in to return a movie, and to get a snack to eat while we watched the movie. He grabbed a bar of dark chocolate, and all I could think was, Man, it sure would be nice to have some ice cream. As soon as I thought it, I felt disgusted with myself. What would Vince think if he had a few small pieces of dark chocolate, while I sat there and gorged myself on a minty-chocolatey-dairy concoction? In reality, he'd probably think either that his dark chocolate tasted good, or that the movie we were watching was just okay (it was John Carter. I liked it all right.). But in my head he would be thinking of how utterly disgusting I was for consuming that much sugar.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the ice cream. He offered me some of his dark chocolate and I refused it. And I spent the rest of the night feeling like Fatty McFatterson simply for wanting to eat the ice cream I didn't buy, and his chocolate.

When I eat healthy foods, like grilled chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, and a baked baby red potato, I feel great afterward. When I eat sugary foods, generally I feel like crap afterward. Yet, what do I crave? Sugar.

My goal is to break myself from craving the things that make me feel crappy. I want to, eventually, be able to have ice cream or chocolate on occasion without it being an enormous emotional deal, but right now, that means seriously limiting what I allow myself. It's gotten to the point where, even though I know that eating dinner is best for me, it's hard for me to do it. Luckily, my biology wins out over my brain, and when my tummy growls, I put food in it, but I'm overly aware that I'm eating, and that eating is what can make me fat...I know (which is good) that I'm bordering on a serious eating issue. I was at this place, emotionally, in high school, and I got away from it. I know I can back away from this precipice now, too. But the only way I know how to handle it is to cut out any and all food that might tempt me in a bad way, that way when I eat the good-for-me-foods, there won't be any guilt (because there shouldn't be.).

I don't know if this is the best way to approach this, but I've run out of ideas. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be more than happy to listen.

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with sugar, you just need to eat the right form of sugars. :)

    Tomatoes, beets, and parsnips (when left in the ground over winter) all contain high amounts of naturally-made sugar, which i'd say if were properly prepared would be just as satisfying as a bar of chocolate.

    Ok, that's a stretch, but it's a start!

    I'm a huge fan of Alton Brown, and his show Good Eats. Good Eats does not focus on recipes, instead it teaches you the science behind what you're eating.

    This episode in particular (the first recipe he mentions) might help you out with your love of sugar. I can't guarantee it will, but give me a break, i'm at least trying! :P

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JN1JWS39O8&feature=g-u-u

    The recipe in particular (note: this isn't gluten-free, and if I remember right you have a gluten allergy. Making this might require some alternate techniques that I don't know)

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/parsnip-muffins-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that, while I do eat fruits on occasion and substitute healthy things for the candy/chocolate/ice cream, I still crave the bad stuff. I'm not even sure it's a sugar addiction so much as an emotional need for those foods.

      Either way, thanks for the tips.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, well, your brain has the most need for sugar, and so usually a craving (when it's not of addictive nature) is brought on by your body needing a specific nutrient. You're a writer, so you're using your brain a LOT. Hence the issue. :)

      I think i've got a plan for you. You should learn to make your own sweets, and never buy them. The effort required will reduce your want, and if you make it, you can control the amounts, or substitute. Simple syrup (1/3 cup water, 1 cup sugar, bring to a boil while stirring) is actually better for you than regular sugar because you're breaking down the disaccharide Sucrose molecule into monosaccharide Fructose and Glucose, which is easier for your body to use efficiently.

      Bah, I ramble a lot. Tl;dr science-y things can help in your quest. :)

      Delete