Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Journey: Fin

Junior Prom: 2002
between 125-135 pounds.
Six weeks ago, I decided to actively--and healthily--try to lose some weight. I've been "trying" for years to drop the weight I gained when I went away to college, but I was never really successful.


In 2003, I graduated from high school and weighed 135 pounds. I'd fluctuated for two or three years between 125 and 135...I remember telling one of my friends as a sophomore how much I weighed (135), and that friend said, "It's OK, you don't look that big." 135 pounds, in my head, went from being a really good thing to a really bad thing. I rapidly dropped to 125, but by the time I graduated, I was back up to 135. I was upset, but looking back, I was just being a dumb kid.

Near the height
of my weight gain.
I was in college for about two years before it occurred to me that I might be gaining weight. I'd had to go up a size or two in most things, and the Freshman Fifteen was an ever present fear. Rather than just trying to be healthier and see if that changed anything, I decided to weigh myself at my parents' house. I remember standing on the scale, closing my eyes, and taking a few deep breaths before looking at that dreaded number. I just knew I'd see 150...but I didn't. Rather, I saw 185. I ran to my room, stripped down, and stood in front of my full length mirror thinking, How did I not see this happening? How did I not notice 50 pounds?!

After dressing and having a tearful chat with my mother, I decided to join Weight Watchers in Louisville where I lived. Weight Watchers was a great program for someone like me who had absolutely no idea how to control what I ate. Up until that point, I ate when and what I wanted to eat. Unfortunately, when you eat when and what you want to eat, and you're depressed (something I'll probably get into in another blog), you eat a lot of everything--Mountain Dew, peanut butter, ice cream, coffee with vast amounts of French vanilla creamer, pizza, burgers, fries, crackers, chips...you get the idea.

I stuck with Weight Watchers until I couldn't justify spending the monthly fee anymore. It wasn't that much, but I was in school and not working, so the fee was coming out of my generous mother's wallet. With Weight Watchers I lost around 20 pounds. But, after I quit, I fluctuated up and down for quite some time.

2007: Closer to
185 than 165 pounds.
In 2007, I Louisville and moved home. I hadn't weighed myself in a long time. I didn't have a scale at my apartment, and I was already deeply unhappy (due to a very unhealthy relationship that, thankfully, ended that year), so I thought buying a scale and weighing myself would just make my unhappiness worse. However, once I was home, I did weigh myself again. I don't remember the number, but I know that it was somewhere between the weight I'd lost with Weight Watchers (around 165) and the weight I'd started at (185). I wasn't happy, but I also didn't do anything to change it.

I stayed at this weight for a few more years. I don't know why it took me so long to change it. I wasn't happy with my body, but I was kind of apathetic about the whole thing. My self esteem was so low, that I was sure that even if I were to only weigh 115 pounds, no one would love me, so why bother.

Near the end of 2010 I started hanging out with a boy that I'd met in 2007. He was a healthy eater, so whenever we hung out, I was a healthy eater. I'd always been one to try and fit in with who I was with, so when he would order food that wasn't fried, so would I. The fact that he didn't drink soda with sugar meant that I didn't drink soda with sugar, and so on and so forth.

At the start of 2011, my friend and I found a poor, pitiful dog that desperately needed a home. Neither of us had the capacity to take care of her alone, so we decided to have joint-custody. If I couldn't be with her, he would, and vice versa. By this point we were best friends anyway, so we thought it was a great plan. We started walking the dog every day. Some nights we would walk for an hour or more. This, combined with the fact that I hadn't had a soda with sugar for months, resulted in my pants being too big. I was ecstatic, but when I weighed myself, I still weighed more than I wanted to--around 155. But, it was progress. I had lost weight by eating better and moving.

The Happiest Day!
A few months after we got this dog, my friend and I decided it would be a good idea to get married. So we did. The first year of our marriage was great. We ate fairly healthy foods and we got a gym membership and went four or five times a week. But no matter what I did, every time I weighed, that blasted scale still said 155. I was pretty frustrated. My husband said that he could see a difference, but muscle weighed more than fat. He was right (my clothes did fit differently), but I also knew that I was still bigger than I needed to be.

About a week before our first anniversary, I asked my husband if he would write up a meal plan for me. I told him I wanted to lose weight in a way that was healthy, and in a way that the weight would stay off (as opposed to crash diets that work while you're on them, and then quit working as soon as you start eating regularly again). He assured me over and over again that I was beautiful, but because he knew I wanted it so badly, he wrote the meal plan for me. I was to stay on it for six weeks and weigh myself at the end.

Yesterday was the last day of that meal plan. After six weeks (well, two months if you count my little anniversary-reboot), I no longer am going to make myself eat very specific foods at very specific times. Rather, I'm going to eat healthily, regularly, and I'm going to use my best judgement about what I eat. If anything, this diet has taught me what kind of foods my body needs, and when my body needs them. I'm so grateful for that...but I'm also grateful to not have to worry anymore about drinking a glass of milk, or a double tall latte, if I want one.

My diet's over, but my new lifestyle is just starting. I can't wait prove to myself that I can maintain my new way of living even without a strict diet to follow. The real success in this diet--as my husband said it would be--was proving to myself that food didn't control me and learning how to eat in a better way. The fact that I now weight 140 pounds, a number I haven't even been close to in almost ten years, is just icing on the cake.

2.5 pounds per week, eating healthy foods and exercising.

12 comments:

  1. So proud of your commitment to be healthy!! More than that, I see a mindset change! THAT change is the most exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince read your comment before I did, and all he said was, "Your cousin left you a great comment, and I agree completely!"

      It's weird...I thought I'd be more excited about the weight loss (and I am excited about it), but mostly, I'm really excited about what I accomplished (I controlled my food intake. I chose what and when to eat. The food didn't choose anything), and I'm really excited about how good I feel! <3

      Delete
  2. I understand the "being stuck" at a certain number. I lost all the weight I gained with Alex plus 17 pounds...and then I got stuck. I want to lose another 20 lbs but it WILL NOT budge. My doctors are cool with my weight because 1) they don't want me back at 97 lbs and 2) they said that with my thyroid and the steroids I have to take daily that I'm actually 'skinny' for what those 2 things should be doing to my weight. But I'M not happy with it. I've tried everything - since March - and I've dropped a whopping 7 lbs! Ben likes me at this weight (he's lost his ever-loving mind!) I'm going to try your meal plan for 6 weeks, bump up my cardio, yoga, walking, and start taking belly dance...after 6 weeks I hope to look half as good as you do after 6 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think our bodies get "stuck" when they need to. Like, if there's a reason that we need to lose/gain weight, our bodies will find a way to make it happen (if we give them the avenue). 97 pounds is not a healthy weight, so maybe your body is telling you that where you are now (you looked great when I saw you last!) is where you need to be to be healthy. I fully encourage being mindful of what you eat and exercising regularly, but (and I can't believe I'm saying this, because I always thought when people said this they were full of crap), don't let the number dictate how you feel. If you work toward health, you've already succeeded. <3

      Delete
  3. Thanks Linz. No, I don't want to be 97 lbs again. Recently I was going through pictures from that time period and thought, "I looked anorexic!" I want to be around 115 lbs. I'm hoping with the new foods, more consistent exercise, and two surgeries I have between now and December that my weight will budge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my goal weight was originally 125, but at 140, I'm feeling pretty dang good about myself. So, my advice is to work hard, but don't let that number control how you feel! I never thought I'd feel confident at 140 pounds, but I truly do. First time for everything!

      Delete
  4. I love you dear and I'm so happy that you are doing so well and you look SO great, but better than that I am happy you are feeling great and feeling confident. You are so beautiful, inside and out. You have inspired me! I am going to try your meal plan ;)Love from,Stace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you SO much. If you decide to try the meal plan, just be sure to get at least 1200 calories a day, and be sure to eat every two to three hours. I love YOU!

      Delete
    2. I will! I may be texting you to ask questions!!! Love you my dear! And miss you oh so terribly. I'm so proud of you, Linds. I really am :)

      Delete
  5. I saw this post on "I Put the Fork Down." Sharing your story really means a lot to me and is very inspiring. I struggle with body image and diet/exercise, and what I admire most is the healthy avenue you're taking. With so many people resorting to less healthier and natural ways to achieve their goals, it's awesome to see people doing it the right way -- and reaping the benefits.

    I love your other blog as well. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to come and read my blog.

      I hate that you also struggle with your body image. It's a really hard thing to deal with. The main way I was able to deal with it in a healthy way was thanks to my husband, who always pushes me toward health, and won't let me travel down unhealthy avenues for this kind of stuff.

      Thank you so, so much for reading. You really have no idea how much that means!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you found the right way to go about getting the results YOU want. I didn't realize until recently (which is funny because now it seems so obvious to me) that everyone gains and loses weight differently. One person may LOOK healthy because they don't pack on the weight the same way I do (stomach and face; yay me! :P) but that doesn't mean they are. While I definitely want to start looking better again (I know I don't look awful or anything but I'm just not where I want to be), the most important thing to me is that I start FEELING better again. I want my energy back. When you work out and eat better, everything in life is easier. You can wake up in the morning quicker, stay motivated, and are just generally more excited about life and able to enjoy it. I'm back to watching what I eat and I'm feeling better again. My main two things that I'm working on are: eating more often (little snacks) throughout the entire day to keep my energy level consistent and reaching for water instead of sugary drinks. Sometimes I can tell I need a little pick me up so I'll get myself a coffee here and there or drink some tea or something but for the most part; water has been fine this past week.

    Good luck with your "non-diet" :P I agree that the word stinks! I think getting healthy is a fun and exciting experience because a little effort goes a long way when you aren't obsessing over every last pound each day. I try to stay busy and before I know it... my clothes are fitting a little better. It's going great so far this time around :D

    ReplyDelete